Friday, February 09, 2007

Is it possible to communicate with the dead?



After watching Most Haunted with Girls Aloud just after Christmas I'd have to say an emphatic yes.


The show hosted by Yvette Fielding took the girls to several "Haunted" locations one night in North Wales. The girls got more and more petrified as they were taken from location to location. At the points where the girls were getting most scared Fielding would turn off the lights and suggest a seance, or lead them into the more secluded areas. The whole evening was clearly set up to maximise the amount of fear, and the girls were convinced of the existence of spirits by the end even if the only real "activity" was knocking sounds. If that is good enough for Girls Aloud, who after all were actually there, then who am I to argue?


I personally have had one Ouija board experience which was what could be described as successful - my friend set it up and she seemed to know what she was doing. The cup moved around and spelt out a name and gave us answers to our questions. None of the answers could have been particularly memorable as I can't remember anything about it now. I tried to recreate this with some other friends a few months later but with no luck. I guess the spirits weren't so communicative that day - or perhaps I did something wrong.


So this post is going in the "Yes" category but I claim no evidence or even real belief in my reasoning. The ability to communicate with the dead is something which I doubt is as prevalent as the amount of people making a living as "mediums" suggests it is. In fact I think it is probably more likely that the dead can communicate with us rather than the other way around - and even then only in a rudimentary way. So no I don't believe in someone who stands in front of an audience and claims to be channeling the spirit of someone's dead aunt and tells them not to be afraid or whatever.


I do think there is enough unexplained phenomena in this world that could be considered hauntings or at least some other dimension attempting to contact us.

Whether this is the dead, or aliens, or just wind and creaking old buildings would require more research - and is something I think unlikely to be proven one way or another.


For that reason I say - "Yeah, why the hell not?"


Of course saying yes kind of assumes I believe in the concept of Hell, and I guess heaven, and probably some kind of limbo (which I believe even the church decided was a bad idea..)


That is going too deep into this subject I think - so I'm with Yvette and the Girls.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home