Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just Jack @ Astoria
I wasn't expecting a lot from tonight if I'm honest but what a pleasant surprise. Now I'm a fan of UK Hip Hop and I did like Jack's album, but I tend to prefer the grimier end of the spectrum, the likes of Akira the Don. Jack's sheer excitement and a warm reaction from a packed Astoria made this a gig it was difficult to dislike though.A good set, mostly taken from Overtones, his second album, but with a couple of songs from his first thrown in was well balanced and his banter kept things flowing.New song "Goth in the Disco" was a ripsnorter of a tune, although I'm not entirely sure I agree with the sentiment!Of course he saved his big hit "Starz in their Eyes" for the one song encore and it went down a treat, but the gig had been great up until that point anyway - the single was just the icing on a very tasty cake. Which of course is the way it should be. Oh, and it wasn't Just Jack either - his band were tight, the drummer was very good in particular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home